Job Description: Consultant– Global Power Unit
Location: Toronto or Ottawa
30 YEARS OF GLOBAL INFRASTRUCTURE LEADERSHIP
If you're ready to join our growing team, where you can make a difference at any level, please apply.
Why work at CPCS?
Because you're passionate about renewable energies and power infrastructures, you're an innovator and want to catalyze meaningful change for government and corporate clients, and you have a strong interest in the energy sector.
You will work with accomplished team members from diverse backgrounds to tackle some of the most interesting and complex policy and business problems in the energy sector. CPCS is proud of its 'start-up' culture that provides unique opportunities for team members to innovate, problem solve, and work collaboratively to deliver meaningful solutions for our clients.
CPCS is a 100-person employee-owned firm that has developed a standout reputation for excellence and innovation. We successfully compete against large management consulting, accounting, and architecture and engineering firms and win high-profile consulting engagements by bringing our clients actionable solutions.
Consulting at CPCS is more than a position with a leading consulting firm, it is a growth path for your career and an opportunity for you learn and develop expertise
- We grow from within and foster skills and learning: our people are our most important resource
- Hands-on training and full immersion for fast learners
- Regular check-ins, informal feedback, and regular reviews to help you achieve your goals
- A reasonable work-life balance and the opportunity to travel
We are seeking a Consultant to support the company's Global Power Unit. Reporting to the Global Director - Power, this will be a full time permanent position to be based in Toronto or Ottawa. The Consultant – Power will be responsible for supporting CPCS Power sector related activities through preparing Expressions of Interest and proposals in response to public tenders, project coordination on CPCS power projects, as well as carry out research and analytical work for power projects.
We are looking for you if…
- You are looking for an opportunity to develop and grow your expertise with us
- You never accept the status quo and challenge yourself and others to identify the best solution
- You are not afraid to step up to challenges and to speak up to improve outcomes for your clients
- You are resourceful: a problem solver with excellent synthesis/analytical capabilities and stellar writing skills
- You value diversity, innovation, teamwork, and accountability
What compensation and benefits does CPCS provide?
We offer competitive base salaries and a performance pay/profit sharing plan. With proven performance, the selected candidate may eventually be invited to become a company shareholder and benefit from corporate dividends. CPCS offers a competitive benefits package, including health, wellness, maternity/paternity, paid time off, flexible work arrangements, and RRSP contributions.
What do we require from a successful applicant?
- Coordination and management of projects, including data collection and stakeholder consultations at appropriate project locations) and analysis of power sector issues;
- Lead and/or support business development, including identification and analysis of new energy projects;
- Provide organizational support for the team, including budgeting and tracking, management of tracking and reporting requirements, project setup and preparation of presentations;
- Work with senior members of the team to build skills and capacity to eventually take lead role on projects and consulting mandates;
- Support CPCS's other teams with preparation of proposals and actively seek to participate in delivery of consulting mandates to build advisory skills;
Experience and qualifications
- At least a bachelor's degree in economics, business, finance, environmental sciences, electrical engineering, or other relevant discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Fluency in both English and French is strongly preferred);
- 1-3 years of experience in consulting, project development, or other relevant experience is preferred;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with a proven ability to manage multiple talks;
- Be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Have Demonstrated problem solving abilities.
- Have ability to present and explain technical subject matter to non-technical audiences.
- Be strong at time management
- Have the ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Be attentive to detail, accountable, and able to manage complicated tasks;
- Be willing to learn and develop skills through senior members of team;
- Be willing to travel within Africa and to other emerging markets and be open and eager to working with difference people and cultures; and
- Have the drive to make a difference in the markets in which we work.
Interested applicants will be required to apply below by submitting a detailed resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position. We thank all those who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications must be submitted by September 30, 2019.
CPCS is a global management consulting firm providing strategic advisory services in the transportation, power and PPP infrastructure space. Within the power sector, CPCS specializes in regulation, policy, access to electricity, financing and mobilizing private investment in electricity infrastructure, specifically through either direct investment as a project developer, or through advising public sector clients on procuring private investment through public-private partnerships (PPP) and transaction advisory services more broadly. To date, CPCS has completed over 1400 projects in 120 countries. Clients include all levels of government, private sector investors and infrastructure owners, bilateral and multi-lateral agencies, as well as international financial institutions, such as the World Bank.
CPCS has approximately 100 staff, including management consultants, economists, financial analysts, planners, infrastructure engineers, PPP experts, operations experts, institutional specialists and project managers. In Canada, CPCS has offices in Ottawa (company headquarters) and Toronto, with a presence in Montreal and Quebec City. CPCS also has offices and consultants in several international markets and is focused on projects in emerging markets, with a particularly strong presence in Africa. Examples of the types of projects CPCS is working on in the power sector include:
GET FiT Mozambique- preparing a detailed program design plan for KfW to support small scale renewable energy projects in Mozambique
InfraCo Africa captive developer- acting as project developer on behalf of InfraCo Africa to conceptualize, prepare and develop high impact infrastructure projects in energy and transport sectors throughout Africa
Millennium Challenge Corporation – carrying out technical assistance and capacity building programs to institutions in governments throughout the developing world such as Nepal, Senegal, Cameroon, Ghana among other countries
Kafue Gorge Lower Hydro- advising the national utility of Zambia, ZESCO, on the development of a $2 billion large scale hydroelectric power project
CPCS promotes an inclusive and diverse work environment. Our culture is performance oriented, entrepreneurial, and team based, where staff have opportunities to champion initiatives/business areas, learn new skills and have fun doing it. We are looking for candidates who are committed to continuous improvement, sensitive to client needs, passionate about the work and can think outside the box.
Visit our website for additional information.
Please note that accommodations are available for applicants in Ontario with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 613-237-2500. For more information, please see our website at http://www.cpcs.ca/en/about-us/accessibility-information.